Monday, July 13, 2009

Soaking Up the Sun More Safely


Here comes the sun? Feels good... but you really should beware. Sorry to harsh your mellow, but you've really got to protect yourself from the sun's damaging rays. (If you know me, you've already heard this lecture...) I turn to the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics and the Environmental Working Group's "Skin Deep" database for finding out what products I should use (and which ones I should avoid). It's not as simple as choosing an SPF of 15, 30, or 45; you've got to find out what the stuff is made of and I'm betting you'll be surprised (and possibly horrified) to find that most commercial brands of sunscreen contain chemicals linked to cancer and other health issues. I recently posted more on the subject on my other blog and you can find out more directly from the Skin Deep site. --Stef McDonald

No comments: