Wednesday, June 9, 2010

John Wooden's Lessons


Basketball is not a board sport, but I have been a fan of the game for as long as I can remember (before I ever dreamed of riding waves on a surfboard!). There were many moving tributes last week following news of the passing of legendary UCLA basketball coach John Wooden and I went to his website to explore more about his career and teachings. Like all good coaches, he was a teacher whose lessons went beyond getting the ball across the court and into the basket. His widely used "pyramid of success" can be applied off the court as well, and has been adopted by businesses and others. I love that some of the "12 Lessons in Leadership" (see above and more on his website) are also lessons for life, including "Make each day your masterpiece."--Stef McDonald

No comments: